Don’t Let One Mistake Devastate Your Life
Being charged with a DUI is always a very serious offense. Fortunately, if you’re facing your first DUI charge, there are a variety of potential defense options available to you that may not be available if you have past DUIs on your record.
When facing a first-time DUI, you are still at risk of some very serious penalties including a fine of $300-$1000, jail time ranging from 10 days to a full year, a minimum of 40 hours of community service (when your BAC was at least .08%), the requirement to complete a risk reduction program, probation of up to a year, and a suspension of your driving privileges for one year. These are obviously life changing punishments, which is why an effective defense is so important.
What Are Your Defense Options?
The specific defense strategy used in any given case will depend on the exact details of the case. The following are some of the most common defense options available. When you come in for a free consultation, we will determine if these, or other, defense strategies are appropriate for your case.
- Rights Violations – We’ll review your case and see if any of your rights were violated during or after the arrest process. This includes checking if your Miranda Rights were read to you, and more.
- Probable Cause – If the officer did not have probable cause to pull you over in the first place, the charges may have to be dropped.
- Not Driving – Some officers will arrest someone for a DUI if they were just sitting in a not-moving vehicle. There are many defense options to fight a DUI in these situations.
- Field Sobriety Tests – Field sobriety tests have been shown to be very inaccurate in many cases. If the results of a field sobriety test are being used against you, we’ll show why they should be disregarded by the courts.
- Breathalyzer Abnormalities – While the technology behind breathalyzer tests has improved over the years, they still aren’t infallible. We’ll look at your results and determine how to fight them in court.
- Weather Conditions – Difficult weather conditions can dramatically influence the way someone drives. If the weather was bad when you were arrested, this can be a factor in your defense.
- Other – We’ll go over every aspect of your case to determine what defense strategies will be most effective. Remember, a guilty plea is almost never the best defense, so don’t give in without a fight!
Contact Us for First-Time DUI Defense
We offer a free consultation to all new clients, so if you’re facing a first-time DUI charge in Savannah or the surrounding area, please contact us immediately. The sooner you reach out to us, the more defense options we will have available, so don’t delay! Do not allow a one-time mistake to impact you for the rest of your life.